The Chatfield Public Library seeks a responsible, self-directed individual who prides themselves in doing a thorough job.
Responsible for cleaning the library at least 2 times a week. Schedule negotiable, 8 hours/week, $15.22/hr. Experience preferable.
Application available here: www.ci.chatfield.mn.us/home/showpublisheddocument/849. Scroll down to find complete job description. Or pick up application and job description at the library. Please send completed application to the library at 314 S. Main St., Chatfield, MN 55923. Position will remain open until filled.
Job Description – Part Time Library Cleaner
Position Title: Library Cleaner
Statement of Duties
Under the supervision of the Library Director, this position is responsible for maintaining a clean, comfortable, and safe environment for library patrons and personnel. This position is responsible for weekly cleaning of the library, maintaining and organizing cleaning supplies, and submitting requests for purchase of needed supplies.
Employee works under the general direction of the Library Director. The employee plans and carries out regular work in accordance with training and with substantial responsibility for independently maintaining the appearance and clean environment of the library building.
As a regular and continuing part of the job, employee must be self-directed and will be working alone.
The library building is approximately 8,000 total square feet. Employee will be responsible for maintaining the cleanliness and maintenance of:
- the main floor which contains all collections, a reading room, and the circulation/staff areas
- a lower level meeting/program room with kitchenette
- a split level foyer with elevator, wooden banister and stairs
- 2 all-gender single toilet restrooms
- custodial storage room, including organization and stocking of cleaning supplies and equipment
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Maintain a clean building free of hazards.
- Organize and secure all cleaning supplies, tools, and equipment.
- Inform director of any specific maintenance issues in need of attention.
- Create and submit supply purchase lists to the Director in a timely manner.
- Keep accurate record of hours worked and sign timecard before payroll schedule due date.
- Communicate regularly with Director and/or appropriate staff as needed.
- Enter and leave library building according to security procedures.
- Vacuum carpeted areas weekly with special attention to high traffic areas.
- Sanitize library tables, chair arms, counters, and circulation work surfaces at least twice a week.
- Sanitize table and chairs in children’s area and clean fingerprints from lower windows.
- Clean and sanitize computer tables, keyboards, mice, and headphones.
- Clean other computer parts and lower parts of computer tables.
- Sanitize countertop and sink in staff break area/Director’s office.
- Clean and dust open shelving, circulation desks, window sills and seats, wood surfaces and ledges, and remove any marks on walls, surfaces, or furniture.
- Dust top of light fixtures once a month.
- Vacuum meeting/program room and hallway as needed.
- Clean and sanitize tables and chair arm rests in meeting/program room if the room has been used since the last time it was cleaned (can be determined by checking calendar).
- Clean and sanitize countertop, cabinet knobs, microwave, refrigerator handle, and sink in kitchenette if they have been used since last cleaning.
- Dust wood blinds when needed.
- Clean and stock both restrooms at least twice per week, including cleaning and sanitizing sinks, toilets, countertops, floors, walls, mirrors, dispensers, doors and handles, and changing tables.
- Perform light plumbing as needed, including unclogging toilets and sinks.
- Empty wastebaskets and 2 outdoor trashcans and bring all trash to dumpsters behind Fire Hall next door.
- Roll recycling can out to back curb on Mondays or before 9:30am on Tuesday mornings.
- May occasionally require outdoor work such as picking up trash, cleaning outdoor tables or bench seating, and sweeping up patio area.
- Vacuum landings, elevator lobbies, and carpet runner.
- Clean interior and exterior glass (within reasonable reach).
- Sanitize hand railings.
- Dust/polish all woodwork
- Clean elevator, including door surfaces. Sanitize button pads inside and outside the elevator car.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
Education and Experience
Custodial/cleaning experience preferred.
Knowledge, Ability and Skill
Knowledge: Knowledge of cleaning materials, supplies, tools, equipment, cleaning methods and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively with Director and staff.
- Ability to operate basic cleaning tools and equipment.
- Ability to efficiently prioritize tasks and be effectively self-directed and organized.
- Ability to work hours when cleaning will not interfere with patron and staff use of the library.
- Ability to read and understand all safety labels and warnings on products, tools and equipment being used.
- Ability to assess an emergency and react accordingly.
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Moderate physical effort is required to perform most duties.
- Regularly required to walk, stand, bend, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, lift, and reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to lift heavy materials and equipment; sometimes up to 40 pounds.
- Must be able to safely use a step ladder at times.
- Must be able to adapt to changing environmental situations.
- Must spend time doing repetitive tasks.
- Must follow OSHA safety standards and attend required “Right to Know” safety training once a year (paid attendance).
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.