The Chatfield Public Library welcomes gifts of new and used books, audio recordings, videos, and similar materials. Items will be added to the collection in accordance with the selection policy of the library.
Monetary gifts, bequests, and memorial or honorary contributions are particularly welcome. Funds donated will be used to purchase items in accordance with the selection policy of the library. Books, videos, and other materials purchased with bequests and memorial or honorary contributions will be identified with special donor plates whenever possible. Suggestions for subject areas or other areas of interest are welcome and will be followed to the extent possible.
Acceptance of donations of equipment, real estate, stock, artifacts, works of art, collections, etc., will be determined by the library board based on their suitability to the purposes and needs of the library, laws and regulations that govern the ownership of the gift, and the library’s ability to cover insurance and maintenance costs associated with the donation.
Any gift accepted by the Chatfield Public Library is subject to the following conditions:
- The Library retains unconditional ownership of the gift.
- The Library makes the final decision on the use or disposition of the gift. It may be given to other libraries and non-profit agencies, sold, traded, or discarded if it is not added to the collection.
- The Library reserves the right to decide the conditions of display, housing, and access to the gift.
- The Library cannot assume responsibility for notifying the donor if the gift is permanently withdrawn, damaged, or lost.
- The Library will not affix a value for income tax purposes to any gift accepted. It is the donor’s responsibility to establish fair market value or obtain expert assistance in establishing any value.